Traveling should be fun. Staying safe takes little effort – so follow these 16 tips:
1. Travel with a friend or group. The saying, "there is safety in numbers," is certainly true.
2. Get good directions and have an excellent map. One of the bigger print ones is my favorite.
3. Make sure your map is new. Old maps carry outdated information.
4. Plan your route and let your friends / family at home know where you are going.
5. Check in frequently by phone. If you do not have a cell phone – then purchase a pay as you go phone to carry. They are around $ 30 and well worth the money.
6. Do not discuss your route with strangers. And be very cautious around strangers who seem overly friendly.
7. If you feel suspicious (about anyone or anything), then go with your gut instinct – get